MICGP Examination 2014 handbook
Click here for the 2014 MICGP Examination Handbook and online application.
Important Notice: Changes to MICGP Examination modules 2014
Transition arrangements for exam candidates for 2014 are detailed below. Examination candidates need to familiarise themselves carefully with these details and refer to the MICGP Examination Handbook 2014 which will be available on the website from the opening day of online applications.
The AKT module of the MICGP Examination will no longer be offered to candidates after 2014. This will be the fourth and final year of the AKT paper.
All new entrants to the MICGP Examination cycle from 2014 will be offered 3 modules:
- Core Knowledge Test (CKT). This will consist of 200 items, all written in single best answer format. It will be an amalgamation of the previous Single Best Answer Paper (SBA) and the Applied Knowledge Test (AKT). This can be taken by candidates from year one of training.
- Modified Essay Question (MEQ) Paper. This will consist of 8 questions. This can be taken by candidates from 2 of year of training.
- An oral examination comprising 2 separate orals, each of 20 minute duration. This can be taken from year 3 of training.
Candidates already in the examination cycle
- Candidates who have not passed the AKT or who have not previously presented for the AKT, will be offered a choice of either sitting the final AKT in 2014 OR sitting the new CKT. Candidates, who choose to attempt the final AKT but are unsuccessful in that attempt, will need to sit the CKT in the following year(s). Candidates may choose either option regardless of whether they have passed the SBA previously or not. Candidates, who are unsuccessful in the final AKT in 2014, will be required to take the CKT in the following year(s). This is also regardless of whether or not they were previously successful in the 150 item SBA module.
- Candidates who have successfully passed either the SBA or the AKT, but do not hold both, require one further test of their knowledge. This may either be the CKT or the final AKT, as appropriate to circumstances. Candidates need to bear in mind that the 2014 AKT will be the final one.
- Candidates who have previously been unsuccessful in the SBA, or have not yet sat this module, will be offered the CKT.
- Each examination candidate will be required to pass a thorough assessment of their knowledge either by passing the CKT or by passing a combination of the SBA and the AKT.