Course principals: Dr Tony O'Sullivan, Dr David McGrath, Dr Richard Look Tong
Course administrator: Ms Jana Pickard
- 24 March 2017 - Kingsley Hotel, Cork
Aim of the course
This ICGP course will be practical, comprehensive and assure quality as well as impart new knowledge and practical skills. Course places will be limited to 20 participants and places will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
This course is open to 4th year GP trainees and general practitioners.
This is a blended learning course. Part I will be done via eLearning modules; Part II will be a 1 day practical training workshop using skin models.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Set up a minor surgery service, obtain suitable equipment and develop a safe professional approach to minor surgical procedures
- Carry out common basic procedures with competence
- Select appropriate patients and expand their experience, alone or with the supervision of a local colleague
- Distinguish appropriate from inappropriate lesions for GP‐based procedures
- Deal with emergencies, manage unexpected malignancies and ensure adequate follow‐up
- Equipment, sterility, emergencies
- Local anaesthetics
- Skin excision – theory and practical
- Suture technique, instrument and hand tie – theory and practical
- Ingrown toenail
- Implanon device – theory and practical
- Lipoma – theory
- Dermatology slide show
- Sebaceous cyst – theory
- Records, log‐book