Visit our Clinical Hub ยป
You are here: Home > In Practice > IT FAQs > Phones > Phone requests
09 April 2018
print version

Q. A social worker who I don't know telephones me because of possible child abuse/neglect concerns relating to a child patient of mine. They want to know if I have any concerns about this child, its siblings or parents. How should I respond?

A. The general principle under Child Protection legislation is that the safety and well-being of children take priority. However, if you have any suspicion about the nature of the request, you should take steps to verify the identity of the caller. If in doubt, a written request from the Department of Social Work should be requested.