Doctors in Different Working Circumstances

Page : [ 1 2 ] : Next

Are there special requirements for doctors who work in different roles?

There are no special requirements for doctors occupying several roles simultaneously. Once registered, a doctor has the right to practise medicine. » read more

Do doctors in part time work have reduced PCS requirements?

No. All doctors registered with the Medical Council should meet the annual PCS requirements, regardless of working status. » read more

Do doctors on maternity, sick or compassionate leave have reduced PCS requirements?

If you are on maternity leave, sick leave or compassionate leave from active practice in excess of 3 months during a Professional Competence year you should notify the ICGP PCS department on » read more

I am a retired GP, how can I meet the audit and internal credit requirements?

Currently, retired GPs are required to achieve the same CPD and audit requirements set down for all doctors registered with the Irish Medical Council. ICGP is aware of the challenges that can arise for doctors in this position and have developed a set of guidelines to assist retired GPs with meeting their requirements. » read more

I am a single-handed GP, how can I accrue internal credits?

While it is sometimes difficult for single-handed GPs to have internal practice meetings, any discussions you engage in with a pharmacist, counsellor, GP colleague or other health professional about patient care can still be recorded. » read more

I am going onto maternity leave directly after I complete my training, do I still need to enrol on PCS?

Yes, all doctors need to enrol on a Professional Competence Scheme within 30 days of completing their training scheme, regardless of whether or not they are on leave. The only time that this does not apply is where they have removed their name from the Medical Council register. » read more

I am on leave from practice and find it difficult to engage in internal CPD. What activities could I record?

Some suggested internal CPD activities include: » read more

I am registered with the PCS and intend to leave Ireland to work overseas. What should I do in relation to the PCS?

If you are intending to leave Ireland for a short period of time (a year or less) to practice overseas, they you should enrol on an Irish professional competence scheme. You can record professional competence activities that you engage in while practicing overseas. » read more

I am retired, do I still have a requirement to engage in PCS?

Yes. All doctors registered with the Irish Medical Council retain the right to practice medicine and therefore have a legal obligation to maintain competence. » read more

I am returning to practice after a period of absence, what should I do for my CPD?

It is important that you engage with CPD on your return to practice. You could complete a Professional Development Plan to assist you with planning your learning needs and CPD for the PCS year, including meeting any shortfalls advised to you from previous PCS years. » read more

Page : [ 1 2 ] : Next
Learn More To give you the best possible experience, our sites use cookies. Continuing with cookies enabled means you're OK with this. Click Learn More for more information about our cookies, and how to disable them. ×