The main aim of the ICGP research unit, under its Director Dr. Claire Collins, is to develop and support research and audits in general practice in a structured format. The ICGP Research Committee supports the programme through the provision of advice and direction. We aim to contribute to the knowledge base of general practice and to support evidence-based practice.
The ICGP's 'Strategic Plan 2008-2013' highlights the importance of research to its mandate and specifies the strategic aim to "contribute to the evidence base that underpins quality general practice". The associated action plan outlines the following activities:
- Take a leadership role in identifying and undertaking research related to general practice
- Develop relationships with the research sector
- Support the development of research skills, capacity and infrastructure in general practices
- Expand the Academic Senior Registrar programme
- Push for career pathways for those involved in education, training and research
- Maintain and enhance the publications capacity of the ICGP.
Research projects currently underway in the ICGP
- Educational needs assessment for a suicide awareness course
- Data analysis of the international QUALICOPC project led by NIVEL (Netherlands)
- HeartWatch project
- Flu vaccination effectiveness study
- Systematic Review on "The effectiveness of educational interventions for primary care health professionals designed to improve self-management in patients with chronic conditions"
- Coordination of data collection on the ICGP Faculty survey
- Study on quality of life of patients with Heart Failure
- Collation of Irish material on health literacy as part of the European project EPHORT HEALIT4EU
- The management of dementia in genera practice across Europe – a pilot study of descriptive account from GPs in Ireland
- Collation of data collection for a study on the strategies to prevent the development and progression of diabetes type 2 in people with established mental illness
- Contribution to and collation of data collection for a study project on palliative care and mental illness
- Collation of data collection for a study on the attitudes of general practitioners to medication reconciliation
- Audit template creation linked to e-learning and QIP guidelines
- Exploring the experiences and attitudes of Irish general practitioners in relation to the treatment of alcohol misuse in primary care
- Establishing the core learning activity for GP Trainees and designing and individualized learning log
- Survey of STI services in Irish general practice
- The lessons GPs learn from their patients: a narrative and concordance-based study of GP trainers
- Developing a medical education website for doctors and medical students in Ireland on Doctors' Health & Healthcare: Information & Services
- Mental Health in Out-of-Hours Service – informing the future direction of services
Statement regarding the use of our membership database for research purposes
- In response to our members' request, the ICGP does not provide access to its membership database to any external organisation/individual for research or any other purpose. Only projects listed above are being conducted by/in collaboration with the ICGP.
- The policy and usage terms of the online Find a GP service is clearly stated on our website and as this list should not be used for research purposes unless the recipients have agreed in advance to receive the specific material.
- If you have been approached to participate in a research project or external audit and wish to check if it has been approved by the ICGP Research Ethics Committee, you can do so by contacting email@example.com.
Members of the team
- ICGP Director of Research: Dr Claire Collins
- Chair of ICGP Research Committee: Prof Andrew Murphy, NUIG
- Chair of ICGP Research Ethics Committee: Dr Kieran Doran, UCC
- Research Assistants: Ivana Pericin and James Larkin
- Research Administrator: Sally-Anne O'Neill
Please direct all research enquiries (including research ethics and research and education foundation grants) to firstname.lastname@example.org.